Looking at your neonatal kitten dying is very heart rendering. Fading kitten syndrome is very common, unfortunately, and can affect all cats. It can prove deadly in many conditions. Therefore, if you are a cat owner, especially of a newborn kitten, it is essential to know about this syndrome.
The quick treatment of newborn kittens is essential in this regard. Don’t worry if you don’t know about this syndrome. Reading this article will help you to understand it completely.
To take proper care of your cat, you must know what fading kitten syndrome is. What are its causes, symptoms, and treatment and survival chances of your kitten? As a cat owner, you should also know some instructions and prevention of this syndrome.
- Seizures In Cats: Causes, Signs, And Treatment Guide 2020
- IBD In Cats: 4 Ways To Treat Inflammatory Bowel Disease!
- Gingivitis In Cats – 6 Surprising Causes Of Gingivitis In Cats!
What Will I Learn?
- 1 What is Fading Kitten Syndrome?
- 2 3 Main Causes of Fading Kitten Syndrome
- 3 5 Symptoms of Fading Kitten Syndrome
- 4 4 Ways to Treat Fading Kitten Syndrome
- 5 Can Kittens Survive Fading Syndrome?
- 6 How to Prevent Fading Kitten Syndrome?
- 7 Instructions for Cat Owners Regarding Fading Kittens
- 8 Conclusion
What is Fading Kitten Syndrome?
Most of the people think that fading kitten syndrome is a disease. But actually, this is not a disease. Instead, it is a collection of different signs that you can see developing in neonatal kittens. Many causes behind it lead to a rapid decline in health.
Usually, the kitten is vulnerable to death within a life period of the first 4 to 5 weeks from birth. In this age, neonatal kittens are at high risk of getting hypothermia, dehydration, hypoglycemia, and infection. Some kittens have fundamental issues at the time of birth, which ultimately results in shortening their lives.
3 Main Causes of Fading Kitten Syndrome
Several reasons can be the cause of fading kitten syndrome in your cat. To carry out the proper treatment of your cat, you must identify its cause first.
1. Malnutrition of Mother:
If the mother cat does not get a proper amount of food required during the gestation period, it can result in stillbirth. Inadequate amounts of food cause illness and malnourishment in female cats. As a result, kittens can have fading kitten syndrome or congenital abnormalities.
Different infections can be the cause of this syndrome in kittens. Infection can be bacterial or viral, as well as internal or external parasite and protozoa. Bacterial infections usually occur in wounds, gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts.
Different viruses can be transmitted from nearby adult cats or infected mothers. Some of the internal parasites are transferred through milk and placenta. At the age of 3 to 4 weeks of a kitten, they are vulnerable to this infection.
3. Environmental Causes:
Healthy kittens are also at the risk of getting fading kitten syndrome if they are not kept in a proper environment. During the first week of the life of a kitten, its body temperature keeps on changing with the environmental temperature.
Hypothermia is a condition that can be the sign of a fading kitten. If the body temperature is too low, there will be poor circulation due to decreased heart rate. On the other hand, too high-temperature results in death, panting, and restless crying of a cat.
5 Symptoms of Fading Kitten Syndrome
Some indications can be the sign for developing fading kitten syndrome in your cat. You must have to notice them take a further step.
1. Low Birth Weight:
A healthy kitten gains 7 to 10 grams increase in weight per day after birth. However, if your kitten has a small or fluctuating birth weight, it is likely to develop fading syndrome. For this, you should have an excellent scale to monitor your kitten’s weight accurately.
2. Dehydrated Skin:
It is hard to see dehydrated skin on a kitten, but this is a vital sign of fading kitten syndrome. The triangular or gaunt face of a kitten can be a sign of dehydration. Take proper measures to cure it if you notice such symptoms.
This is one of the vital symptoms that your kitten is not well. Lethargy is more than tiredness and sleepiness. If your kitten is not taking an interest in surroundings, keep an eye on it. Most of the kittens that have some kind of problem just want to lie all day.
This can be a behavioral indication for the caregiver that the kitten is not well. It can also be the inability of a kitten to nurse correctly. In this condition, you should take it to a vet for proper checkup.
A mother cat abandons the kitten if it is weak. This is a reaction that she wants to protect the other healthier kittens. So the caregiver can take it as a symptom and can provide proper care to a weaker kitten.
- Cat Keeps Sneezing But Seems Fine – 9 Reasons Why?
- Cat Sneezing Blood – 9 Major Causes Of Feline Blood Sneezing!
- Can Cats Get Hiccups? 5 Causes of Hiccups in Cats You Should Know!
4 Ways to Treat Fading Kitten Syndrome
If you feel that your kitten is not well, consult a vet immediately so that he can identify the cause. The vet should conduct a blood test to determine any viral or bacterial infection.
1. Keep the kitten separated:
Hypothermia is the most common cause of fading kitten syndrome. Kittens usually huddle with their mother to keep themselves warm. Try to keep the kitten separated from the litter and wrap it in a blanket. The heating pad can be used to keep the box of cat warm. Keep on checking it so that it does not become too hot.
2. Humid Nursery Conditions:
The environment should be humid if your kitten is suffering from dehydration. You can also use a humidifier if you find it necessary. It will keep the surrounding humidity between 55 and 65%. Humidity will result in preventing fluid loss as well.
3. Treatment of Malnutrition:
In some conditions, a kitten cannot nurse properly. You can bottle-feed kitten after every two hours. However, if the kitten feels difficulty in suckling, then the vet can conduct a dextrose solution.
4. Treatment of Infection:
If the vet has identified any parasitic infestation or bacterial infection, he will prescribe the proper medication for it. There are two ways to give medicines to your kitten. You can add the liquid drug to milk if the kitten can suckle. In other cases, it can be injected.
Can Kittens Survive Fading Syndrome?
It is essential to consult the vet if you notice any symptom in your kitten. Take all the measures possible to provide proper care to your kitten. In some conditions, it takes hours for a kitten to be healthy again.
The first week of a kitten’s life is very crucial as the mortality rate is highest. There are more than 90 percent chances of death during this period. According to an estimate, the rate of stillbirth is 10% and 10% mortality rate during the first two days of life.
In any case, the kitten showing such symptoms needs special care and attention. The caregiver should be very alert to notice any signs of this syndrome.
How to Prevent Fading Kitten Syndrome?
It is crucial to keep an eye on the kitten as soon as it is born. You need to be highly conscious in this regard. Mother like care is the key to the health of your kitten. So, you will have to give your time to take care of it.
Taking immediate measures is a vital step right after noticing any signs of illness. Any delay can lead to stressful situations, which can also result in death.
Instructions for Cat Owners Regarding Fading Kittens
As a cat owner, you must have complete information about fading kitten syndrome. You should know about the immediate treatment that you can do in case of an emergency. Knowing the common causes of this syndrome is essential. Socializing is important, but care comes first. Make sure that your cat is getting enough rest and sleep.
Rejected kittens need special care. There is an increased risk for this syndrome in orphaned and premature kittens. Kittens with congenital disabilities are also at the risk of getting this syndrome. Kittens, which are in a litter of more than four, are also likely to develop it.
Track the weight of your kitten and be prepared for every type of situation.
- Hot Spots On Cats – 3 Secret Remedies To Get Rid Of Them.
- Can Cats Get Lyme Disease? Treat Lyme Borreliosis In Cats
- Is Your Cat Peeing Blood? – 3 Causes Of Blood In Cat Urine
Fading kitten syndrome is a life-threatening situation. Take your kitten for a proper checkup if you notice any sign of it. Give treatment to the kitten once the cause is identified. Early weeks are a crucial time for a kitten’s life.
Giving proper care is an essential thing that you can do. Keep the kitten separated and try to keep it warm. Also, keep an eye on the humidity level of the environment to prevent dehydration.
You may not always be successful in saving the life of a kitten. Always be hopeful and manage the situation in the best way possible.