If you have a cat at home, you will need a cat litter box for it. Many people choose cats as their pets because they are clean and usually require less bathing. However, cats are not that much clean. You will notice amounts of litter on your floor because cats can easily make a mess with litter boxes. In this situation, high sided litter boxes will help you get rid of this problem.
High sided litter boxes help keep the litter inside and prevent from spilling outside. In this article, you will learn about our top picks for high sided litter boxes. You will get to know why you should choose a high sided litter box and how they are helpful.
- 10 Best Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes For Large Cats Of 2020
- Best Vacuum For Cat Litter In 2020 (Top 14 Picks Reviewed)
What Will I Learn?
What Will I Learn?
Our Top 10 Picks Of High Sided Litter Boxes
Images Products Nature's Miracle High-Sided Litter Box Easy to move around Non-sticky surface High Sides Prevent Scattering IRIS Jumbo Litter Box with Litter Scoop Two-piece Kit With matching Scoop Good height due to shield Nature's Miracle Oval Hooded Flip Top Litter Box Odor control charcoal filter Does not require any dilution Corner design, large space Nature's Miracle Advanced High Sided Litter Box Anti-microbial Protection Can Easily fit into corners Odor blocking technology Purina Tidy Cats Litter Box System Filtering pellets for Scooping Ammonia blocker for Odor Absorbent litter pads Petmate Litter Pan 20.3×15.1×15.2 inches Built Handles for holding Grated Surface ScoopFree Automatic Cat Litter Box Self Cleaning System Disposible Litter Trays Tested at Manufacturer’s Lab Omega Paw EL-RA20-1 Roll N Clean Litter Box Disposible Litter Trays Filters For Easier Cleaning Self Cleaning Litter Box Litter Genie Cat Litter Box Anti-Microbial Protection Sleek design, Easily Fittable Handles For Moving The Litter Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan 21.25×17.75×9 inches Stain Resistant, Odor Resistant Minimized the Urine Spray
Nature's Miracle High-Sided Litter Box
Easy to move around
High Sides Prevent Scattering
IRIS Jumbo Litter Box with Litter Scoop
With matching Scoop
Good height due to shield
Nature's Miracle Oval Hooded Flip Top Litter Box
Odor control charcoal filter
Does not require any dilution
Corner design, large space
Nature's Miracle Advanced High Sided Litter Box
Can Easily fit into corners
Odor blocking technology
Purina Tidy Cats Litter Box System
Filtering pellets for Scooping
Ammonia blocker for Odor
Absorbent litter pads
Petmate Litter Pan
Built Handles for holding
ScoopFree Automatic Cat Litter Box
Self Cleaning System
Disposible Litter Trays
Tested at Manufacturer’s Lab
Omega Paw EL-RA20-1 Roll N Clean Litter Box
Disposible Litter Trays
Filters For Easier Cleaning
Self Cleaning Litter Box
Litter Genie Cat Litter Box
Sleek design, Easily Fittable
Handles For Moving The Litter
Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan
Stain Resistant, Odor Resistant
Minimized the Urine Spray
Now let’s have a look at these, one by one.
1. Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box
This is the top and one of the best high sided litter boxes which you cat can use comfortably. 5000+ people have rated this cat litter box, and it has a high rating of 4.5 stars. The reason why many people like it are because it is comfortable and it has excellent quality. Good grade plastic has been used in it, which will prevent it from breaking or cracking easily.
Moreover, it is easy for you to move it because of its handles on the side. It has all the qualities that should be in a litter box, according to experts. It offers a large space so that your cat can squat, turn around, and can stand comfortably. The low entryway is helpful for less mobile or older, especially.
Its high sides will prevent over spraying of urine and flinging litter. There are no corners or crevices, which is helpful. In this way, no clumps of waste will get stuck in these corners, and you will be able to clean it easily. It has a low price, which is also a plus point.
Length: 23.4 inches
Height: 11 inches
- Its high sides help to prevent the scattering of litter.
- It is easy to move around because of handles.
- It has a non-stick surface which makes cleaning easier.
- Good for older cats as well to enter and exit
- The entrance may prove low to the ground as compared to other cat litter boxes. It will result in less odor protection.
2. IRIS Jumbo Litter Box with Litter Scoop
This is another product that has been reviewed by highly different customers. About 5587 people have rated this, and it has a 4-star rating. It is sturdy and strong because of its high quality. It has high sides that provide enough privacy to your cat.
Moreover, it also has some transparency so that your cat can look around. A scoop also comes with this product, which is an additional bonus. It has been designed in a way that provides enough space for quick accessibility. It has a polished interior, which makes cleaning easier. Overall it’s the right quality product.
Length: 19.00 inches
Width: 15.00 inches
Height: 11.75 inches
- It’s a two-piece kit that is very affordable.
- Enough space for the cat.
- Comes with a matching scoop.
- A polished interior helps to clean easily.
- The shield increases its height which prevents mess.
- Its connection point may be problematic and wear out.
- The entrance can be too high for small cats and kittens.
3. Nature’s Miracle Oval Hooded Flip Top Litter Box
It is considered among some of the best products and is highly rated by customers. It has a 4.5-star rating, and 2261 people have rated it. You can easily fit it into corners, and this product also has a hood. The hood helps in providing privacy to your cat, so your cat will feel comfortable. Moreover, as you can easily set it in some corners, it will not affect your room’s style. Also, it will look presentable.
A unique feature of this product is its odor control charcoal filter. This filter helps to eliminate the odor that is due to bacteria and keeps the air clean.
- It has high sides, which can accommodate more litter and helps to prevent litter scattering.
- Odor control charcoal filter which is also replaceable.
- Corner design which saves space.
- Non-stick surface for easy cleaning.
- It does not require any dilution for using it.
- It does not come with a handle for easy moving and cleaning.
- The liquid can leak through seams with spray.
4. Nature’s Miracle Advanced High Sided Litter Box
Nature’s Miracle Advanced High Sided Litter Box is triangular, which will help to save your space and fits easily into the corner. It has a 4.5 stars rating rated by 2089 people. This high sided litter box has 10 inches high walls, which will help to prevent pesky leaks of spray. It has a non-sticky plastic surface and controls odor, which is caused by bacteria. Moreover, it has an extra-large size, suitable for more than one cat at home.
10 x 23 x 26 inches
- The non-sticky plastic surface which helps in cleaning.
- An odor blocking technology.
- High walls that prevent litter scattering and leaks.
- Can be easily fit into a corner.
- Anti-microbial product protection.
- Large cats may still be able to scatter litter.
5. Purina Tidy Cats Litter Box System
Purina Litter Box system is liked by most of the cat owners, and it’s a great choice. It has 4.5 stars rating rated by 8222 customers. This litter box system is especially suitable for people that are new cat owners. It has high sides, and it comes with everything that you will need, i.e, a scoop that helps in cleaning, some absorbent pads, and a filtering litter. Moreover, there is a drawer installed in it, which prevents leaks control.
Moreover, if the urine is leaked, the absorbent pads in the bottom will absorb it. Another feature is the litter that comes in the package. It has many filtering pellets in it, which helps in separating solid waste from the litter. This litter lasts for a month if you have one cat.
- Filtering pellets makes the scooping process easier.
- It comes with everything you will need.
- Suitable for new cat owners.
- Ammonia blocker which is helpful to block ammonia odor. It will prevent odor for 7 days if you have one cat.
- Absorbent litter pads to prevent mess.
- Litter pellets help in dehydrating of solid waste.
- Large cats may kick out litter.
6. Petmate Litter Pan
If you are not happy with regular high sided litter boxes, you may need a top entry litter pan. It has 4.5 stars rating rated by 4882 customers. These boxes are entirely enclosed so your cat will not be able to scatter litter and spraying urine. Moreover, its top entry feature helps minimize tracking as most litter will fall from the cat’s paws.
It has an affordable price and size is useful if you have more than one cat at home.
- Affordable price.
- It has built-in handles that are useful for moving it smoothly.
- The grated surface will take off litter from cat’s paw.
- Cats can cover waste without spilling it on the floor.
- It may prove too high for some cats, and they will not be able to jump easily.
- It is less durable and sturdy than some other products.
7. Petsafe ScoopFree Automatic Cat Litter Box
It’s a self-cleaning cat litter box that you can leave for weeks. You just need to plug in the box. It has a 4 stars rating rated by 4618 customers. Many cat owners use it. It automatically removes waste. You don’t need to scoop, clean, or refilling the cat litter box for weeks. Crystal litter can absorb urine, and it also helps in dehydrating solid waste.
Moreover, these crystals are dust-free, and they do not stick to your cat’s paws. Therefore, you will not have messy floors. There are disposable litter trays that help in leak protection. Each litter tray has a lid that is useful in quick disposal. It also monitors your cat’s health by keeping track of how many times your cat has used the box.
- Self-cleaning system.
- Crystal litter helps to eliminate odor, and it absorbs the urine.
- Disposable litter trays.
- This product has been tested at the manufacturer’s lab.
- Adult supervision is required.
- It is not very good to use for kittens until they are more than 6 months of age.
- Handicapped or old cats cannot use it.
- Entering and exiting can be difficult for cats.
8. Omega Paw EL-RA20-1 Roll N Clean Litter Box
This product has been rated by 3132 customers and has a 4 stars rating. It is also a self-cleaning litter box. It does everything on its own and is affordable too. You just need to tilt this cat litter box a little, and you will get rid of urine and poop. A grill is present inside the package, which will separate the waste into pull out litter tray.
Moreover, it has a cover over it, suitable for those cats that spray and prevent tracking. The only bad thing about this box is its size.
- Self-cleaning cat litter box.
- It can control odors.
- Filter and collect waste.
- It has a tray for disposing of litter easily.
- It can be too large for small spaces.
- It is not fully automatic.
- Hard clumping litter needs to be used.
9. Litter Genie Cat Litter Box
This product has been 4.5 stars rated by 2854 customers. It has a flexible plastic which means that you can fit it in small places. There are integrated handles that make it easy to empty solid litter. Moreover, there are high walls that will protect the litter from scattering. It is made of anti-microbial plastic, which protects your cat from germs.
Its high walls also give your cat some privacy that it needs.
- Anti-microbial protection that protects against germs.
- Sleek design that helps to store litter in a small place.
- Handles for cleaning and moving easy.
- Gives your cat some privacy.
- Refill cartridges may prove expensive.
10. Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan
It is not only the right product but also has an affordable price. It has a 4.5 stars rating and is rated by 23379 customers. Its size is suitable for large-sized cats and if you have more than one cat at home. It is stain-resistant and also odor resistant and has a high polished finish. These can accommodate a large amount of litter.
- Affordable price.
- Stain-resistant and odor resistant for easy cleaning.
- Minimized urine spray and litter scattering.
- The entrance can be too high for small cats or kittens.
- Material is less sturdy and less durable as compared to some other products.
How is High Sided Litter Box Helpful?
Your cat may have the habit of flicking litter and peeing outside the box. If this is the case, then high sided litter box is the best option for you. They come in different styles that you can choose depending upon your need. Most of these boxes are rectangular.
These are more comfortable for your cat because of the open cover. In this way, your cat can keep an eye on the surroundings and don’t think it as an enclosed box. There are many options that you can choose from, and it will work best for your cat. But first, have a look at our top picks that we recommend you.
7 Things To Look In a High Sided Cat Litter Box
There are different types of high sided litter boxes, so every cat owner get confused while choosing one, so here are some things that you need to look in a high sided litter box. Only the high walls are not enough; you need to look for some other features too. Below are some of the points that you need to keep in mind before choosing a high sided litter box.
1. Size of the Box:
According to experts, a litter box should be 1.5 times as long as your cat. Its width should be according to your cat’s length. Therefore, keep this thing in mind while checking the size of the litter box. If your cat has a habit of scattering litter all around, you should choose a big size.
2. Cover of the Litter Box:
The cover gives your cat some privacy, and it also proves useful in containing litter and urine spray.
3. Entrance to Litter Box:
The entrance should be at a manageable height. It should not be either too high or too low for your cat.
4. The shape of the Box:
There are various shapes available in a high sided litter box. You can choose the shape by keeping in mind where you want to keep the litter box.
5. Open or Enclosed Box:
Your cat always wants a view of its surroundings, so make sure that the box is not fully enclosed. If the box is open, it should have high sides to prevent litter scattering and urine sprays. If the box is enclosed, make sure there is enough entrance space so that your cat can get into it quickly.
6. Accessible to Clean and Scoop:
It is also one of the essential aspects that you should look for in high sided litter box. Scooping the litter tray should be once a day, and changing litter should be done twice a week. Ensure that there are no crevices or corners; otherwise, the clumps of waste can get in. It will make the cleaning process difficult for you.
7. Quality of Material:
Quality of material is also essential; otherwise, the box may crack and lose its shape. A right cat litter box should be made of durable materials that can handle the cat’s weight and scratching.
4 Tips for Controlling Tracking and Spilling of Litter
Different tips may prove helpful for you to control your cat from spilling litter all around. Let’s have a look at these
1. Switching Litter box:
If you are not satisfied with your old litter box, you can think of changing it. Go for high sided cat litter boxes with larger dimensions that provide enough space to your cat.
2. Choosing Litter:
There are different cat litters; some of them are heavy. Some cat litters contain larger granules. Therefore, these will be heavier and more difficult for a cat to scatter or fling it.
3. Add a Shield or Lid:
If you don’t want to change your cat’s litter box, consider using a lid. Place a shield or cover on the litter box. It may help in preventing spray and spills.
4. Changing place of Litter Box:
If all other options are not helpful for you, you can place the litter box in a tub. This will keep your home and floor clean. All that scattered litter will be in the tub, and you can easily clean that.
High sided cat litter boxes are suitable for cats that have a habit of creating mess and scattering litter. No one wants to see their house dirty and litter scattered on the floor. Therefore, you should buy a high sided cat litter box that will solve your problem. There are some tips which will help you to prevent spilling and spray.
There are many cat litter boxes available in different styles and designs. You can choose the cat litter box, which is best for you and your cat. There are a couple of things that you need to keep in mind before selecting a high sided litter box for your cat.