Weight loss is equally dangerous as weight gain for dogs. There can be different reasons behind weight loss in dogs. It can either be due to inappropriate nutrition or due to excessive physical activities. Sometimes there can be a severe medical issue behind it; therefore, you need to pay attention to it. Luckily, different brands are making the best High Calorie dog food to gain weight and muscle.
For your convenience, we will review some best dog food that will surely help you if your dog is underweight. These are high-quality foods made using natural ingredients. Read the article to end so that you can easily choose one for your malnourished dog.
- 10 Best Dog Food For Less Poop In 2020 (Detailed Review)
- Best Low Sodium Dog Food In 2021 [Top 10 Reviewed]
- Best Dog Food For Goldendoodles – Top 10 Picks in 2020
What Will I Learn?
- 1 Our Top 5 Recommendations Of Best Dog Food For To Gain Weight & Muscle
- 2 How To Know If my Dog is Underweight or Overweight?
- 3 Why Should My Dog Gain Weight?
- 4 Reasons Why Dogs Lose Weight?
- 5 How To Help My Dog With Gaining weight?
- 6 10 Best Dog Food To Gain Weight and Muscle
- 6.1 1. Purina Pro Plan Sport, Energy & Vitality Support:
- 6.2 2. Solid Gold High Protein Wet Dog Food:
- 6.3 3. Nulo Puppy & Adult Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food:
- 6.4 4. ZIWI Peak Wet Dog Food – Natural High Protein, Grain-Free:
- 6.5 5. CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food To Gain Weight:
- 6.6 6. Bully Max High-Performance Super Premium Dog Food:
- 6.7 7. Instinct Raw Boost Senior Grain-Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food:
- 6.8 8. Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food:
- 6.9 9. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food:
- 6.10 10. CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food, Beef & Chicken:
- 7 Things to Look For in a Dog Food for Gaining Weight and Muscles
- 8 Conclusion
Our Top 5 Recommendations Of Best Dog Food For To Gain Weight & Muscle
Purina Pro Plan Sport, Energy & Vitality Support
Solid Gold High Protein Wet Dog Food
Nulo Puppy & Adult Small Breed Freestyle Limited Plus Grain Free Dry Dog Food
ZIWI Peak Wet Dog Food - Natural High Protein, Grain Free
CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
How To Know If my Dog is Underweight or Overweight?
One of the most critical questions that may pop up in your mind is identifying if your dog is underweight. It’s very challenging for dogs to maintain an ideal, healthy weight. There is one easy way in which you can check your dog if it’s underweight.
For this, stand your dog and run your hands on both sides. If you feel too many ribs and you cannot feel too much skin, it means that your dog is underweight. You may be able to see the ribs clearly if your dog is underweight.
Why Should My Dog Gain Weight?
If your dog is underweight, it needs to gain weight. Underweight dogs are prone to different health problems and may become weaker and weaker. They will not be able for proper training and exercise. A dog with an ideal weight will have a healthy lifestyle and enough energy to fight disease and perform physical activities.
Reasons Why Dogs Lose Weight?
There are different reasons why your dog may lose weight. Sometimes it may happen that your dog is eating normally but losing weight. Let’s look at various reasons behind weight loss in dogs.
- Kidney diseases
- Heart diseases
- Metabolic disorders
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Dental problems
- Any change in your dog’s diet.
How To Help My Dog With Gaining weight?
There are different high protein dog foods to gain weight and muscles. Giving this dog food will help your dog in gaining weight. However, there are some other ways in which you can help your underweight dog gain weight.
- Free feeding or feed small portions of food throughout the day
- Giving snack in addition to the meal
- Use wet dog foods as they contain a high amount of calories.
- Choosing high protein and High Calorie Dog Food
10 Best Dog Food To Gain Weight and Muscle
Below mentioned is a list of high protein dog food to gain weight and muscle. We have reviewed these foods made by some well-known brands. Reading this will help you to learn about different high-quality ingredients that have been used in the recipe. Let’s have a look at these.
Purina Pro Plan is a well-known dog food brand. This is positively reviewed and the best dog food to gain weight and muscles, and it has been rated 4.7 stars by 3400+ users. It’s a high-calorie dog food with a delicious flavor and is made primarily with a weight gain formula. The food is available in a variety of different flavors.
The food formula contains 30% protein, which helps to gain weight and build lean muscles. Also, it has 20% fat and amino acid that help to nourish muscles right after exercise. It’s dry dog food and available in different sizes of bags.
- Purina Pro Plan dog food is available at an affordable price to help your dog gain weight and muscle.
- It contains multiple protein sources, and most of the owners reported that their dog liked its taste.
- About 1.6% of omega-six fatty acids help to have healthy skin and coat for your dog.
This is another recommended best dog food to gain weight and muscles and has been rated 4.5 stars by 190 users. It is available in beef, eggs, and peas flavor in different bag sizes. Solid Gold is a pet food brand that has been working since 1974. They make delicious recipes using natural ingredients that give a healthy lifestyle to your dog.
There are different nutrition and protein-based ingredients in the recipes. Beef, peas, and eggs are natural and healthy ingredients that are delicious and help your dog gain weight. There is no gluten or grains in the recipe, which is another advantage for dogs with food allergies.
- This is a high-calorie dog food to gain weight and muscles, and your dog will get 425 kcal from one cup of it.
- It contains 20% crude fat and 41% crude protein, which helps gain weight and build lean muscles.
- Healthy and natural ingredients have been used in the recipe to provide essential benefits to your dog.
Nulo dog food is especially for dogs with different stomach problems or those who feel difficulty digesting food. It has been rated 4.7 stars by 400+ users. Digestive problems in dogs can be a reason for other different diseases such as skin issues and infections. When a dog is unable to digest nutrients, it will ultimately lead him to weight loss.
Therefore, you need to choose a limited ingredient dog food that is best in this regard. This type of dog food ensures easy food digestibility. For this reason, Nulo Limited plus is the best dog food to gain weight and muscle. Real salmon is the first ingredient in the recipe, and there are no grains or additives.
- It’s a high protein dog food to gain weight and muscles and contains a limited number of best ingredients for dogs with stomach issues.
- Salmon is the protein source in the recipe and grain-free carbohydrates and omega-six fatty acids that improve skin and coat.
- Essential vitamins, minerals, and probiotic supplements are also present in the diet.
ZIWI is another well-known brand for pet food and has been rated 4.5 stars by 80+ users. It is available in multiple flavors that you can choose according to your dog. This is a high protein recipe without any fillers, artificial preservatives, and sugars. Most of the dogs love the beef flavor, so this is an ideal food for your dog.
The recipe contains beef as the first ingredient and not only that, it also contains beef organs, which provide extra proteins and nutrients to your puppy. A limited number of elements have been used in it, and it’s a grain-free food formula. One of the unique features of this food is that it contains New Zealand green-lipped mussels. These are a source of chondroitin and glucosamine, which are essential for joints.
- The recipe contains real beef as the first ingredient. Also, it has beef organs, which are a source of additional protein and nutrients.
- It’s a high protein dog food to gain weight and muscles.
- There are grain-free carbohydrates with chelated minerals, and it’s a completely balanced diet.
This is also included in our recommended list of best dog food to gain weight and muscles and has been rated 4.5 stars by 1660+ users. It contains high levels of protein, which help your dog to put on weight. The recipe comprises multiple animal protein sources and a high amount of calories, so you should indeed consider it.
The food is available at an affordable price and promises long term health for your dog. A nutritious and healthy blend of chicken meal and fresh chicken is present in the recipe. Also, it contains lamb and pork protein. For healthy and easy digestion, the food formula contains fibers that help in digesting the food properly. Chelated minerals ensure maximum absorption of nutrients.
- It’s excellent dog food for gaining weight and has an affordable price.
- The food formula contains multiple protein sources, making it the best dog food to gain weight and muscle.
- Fibers are also present in the recipe, which promote healthy digestion
- The food is rich in calorie and protein content.
- 12 Best Dog Food For American Bully In 2020 (Reviews)
- 10 Best Dog Food For Corgis In 2020 (Complete Review)
Bully Max dog food has been rated 4.6 stars by 1100+ users. This is a well-known brand for its high-quality products and has received many positive reviews. Their products are manufactured after doing a lot of research. Bully Max is a high-calorie dog food to gain weight and muscle. It can surely help your dog if he is underweight.
The food formula is entirely meat-based to provide maximum protein to dogs so that they can gain weight. Vets approve of this dog food, and it guarantees a healthy lifestyle for your dog. It has been designed in a way that it can be used for all dog breeds and dogs of all ages. It can even be used for nursing or pregnant ones.
- It’s a high protein and high-calorie dog food to gain weight and muscle.
- The food formula is entirely meat-based, which means a high content of protein.
- Your dog will get 535 kcal from one cup of this food.
- In addition to protein, there are 20% crude fats and 3.8% natural fiber.
Instinct raw food has been rated 4.5 stars by 130+ users and is available in two different sizes. It is more challenging for senior dogs to keep and maintain an ideal weight. For old dogs, protein is even more critical for their joints and a healthy weight and body. High protein content helps to build and maintain lean muscles.
Instinct Raw boost is a dry dog food with chicken flavor. Your dog will get 500 calories from one cup of this food and contains 35.5% protein. It provides your dog with the benefits of freeze-dried raw food with kibbles having high protein content. Another advantage of the Instinct Raw boost is that it contains chondroitin and glucosamine, essential for joints.
- Instinct raw boost provides the benefits of both dry food and freezes raw food.
- Some grain-free digestible carbohydrates and fibers help in proper digestion
- Probiotics and chelated minerals are also present in the formula, along with omega fatty acids.
This is positively reviewed, and the best dog food to gain weight and muscles and has been rated 4.6 stars by 6800+ users. It is available in a variety of different flavors that you can choose for your dog. Taste of the wild is one of the most well-known dog food brands and has received many positive reviews.
High-quality ingredients have been used in the recipe, such as roasted meats and other beneficial supplements. There are grain-free carbohydrates that are easily digestible. The dry dog food formula does not have high-calorie content. However, you can supplement it with the wet dog food formula as it contains a high amount of calories and is ideal for your dog to gain weight.
High Prairie recipe contains fresh bison, beef, and roasted venison along with the roasted lamb. This is a high protein dog food formula with a delicious taste. It is completely balanced, which means that it provides all the essential nutrients to your dog.
- The recipe contains all essential nutrients, and it is completely balanced.
- Taste of the Wild contains multiple protein sources that help your dog gain weight and build lean muscles.
- It has all the essential vitamins, nutrients, and chelated minerals.
Blue Buffalo is a famous dog food brand and has been rated 4.7 stars by 6000+ users. It will satisfy your dog’s taste buds, and the high protein content will help gain weight and maintain muscles. There are healthy carbohydrates present in the recipe, which give a healthy lifestyle to your dog.
One of Blue Buffalo products’ unique features is the added LifeSource bits formula, which is a blend of essential minerals and vitamins. It also includes antioxidants that support your dog’s immune system and gives an oxidative balance. Finest natural ingredients have been used in the recipe, and it is free from grain, artificial preservatives, and colors.
- It’s a high protein food formula that helps your dog to achieve an ideal weight and lifestyle.
- High-quality ingredients have been used in the recipe and grain-free carbohydrates.
- One cup of food will provide 416 calories to your dog.
- It contains 34% protein content.
Available in two different flavors, this dog food has been rated 4.6 stars by 1400+ users. It is available in various sizes. High-quality animal protein has been used in the recipe to satisfy your dog’s taste buds for the taste of wild meat. Real beef is the first ingredient in the recipe. It contains 34% protein content, which helps to gain weight and build lean muscles.
There are no artificial flavors, preservatives, and corn or wheat products. It has grain-free carbohydrates that provide enough energy to your dog for daily activities. All these features make it the best dog food to gain weight and muscles.
- Real beef is the protein source and first ingredient in the recipe.
- The food formula can be used for all dog breeds and contains essential minerals and vitamins.
- 34% protein is present in the food formula, which helps gain weight and build lean muscles.
Things to Look For in a Dog Food for Gaining Weight and Muscles
You may have made up your mind till now about getting the best dog food to gain weight and muscle. But wait for a while; there are essential things you need to look for in dog food. So let’s have a look at these.
1. Ingredients in dog food:
A recipe for dog food must contain fresh ingredients. These ingredients are more digestible and nutritious; therefore, they are a must in a dog’s diet. Moreover, the food formula should have real animal protein sources, grain-free carbohydrates, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
Dog food should have 430 to 450 calories per cup. Less or more calories than this are not suitable for your dog. Always look for a dog food recipe that has a concentrated source of calories.
It is essential to always look for the source of carbohydrates in the food formula. An ideal recipe should have digestible carbohydrates so that your dog does not suffer from any stomach or digestive problems.
4. Animal Proteins:
The best dog food gain weight and muscle should contain real animal protein sources. Protein helps to gain and maintain an ideal weight; therefore, a food formula should have high-quality protein. A perfect percentage for food in a diet should be 30%.
5. Balanced Diet:
Apart from all other ingredients, dog food should contain all essential minerals and vitamins, antioxidants, and omega fatty acids to make it a completely healthy and balanced diet for your dog. It is especially important for those dogs that are suffering from some medical condition.
It is challenging for dogs to maintain a healthy weight. Though they are eating normally, they can still lose weight. There are several physical or medical conditions behind this problem. Therefore, you need to help your dog to maintain an ideal and healthy weight. You can provide the best dog food to gain weight and muscle in this regard.
There are several other ways you can help your dog is gaining weight. Moreover, if you plan to buy a high protein and high calorie dog food to gain weight and muscle, it is essential to look for some crucial details. There are a couple of things that you should look for in a recipe for dog food. This will help you to get the best dog food for your dog.