Greyhound is an athletic dog breed, and they need more calories than other dog breeds. But at the same time, their food should be highly nutritious. If you have a greyhound, you must have an idea of how tricky it is to find the best dog food for greyhounds. Therefore, we have compiled a list of different dog foods for greyhounds by some well-known brands.
Greyhounds are sweet-tempered dogs, and they need a lot of exercise and support for joints and skin. Therefore, they need a proper diet. Read this article to learn about some different and best brand of dog food for greyhounds.
- Best Dog Food For Goldendoodles – Top 10 Picks in 2020
- 12 Best Dog Food For American Bully In 2020 (Reviews)
- 10 Best Dog Food For Less Poop In 2020 (Detailed Review)
What Will I Learn?
What Will I Learn?
10 Best Dog Food For Greyhounds in 2020
Several brands are making high-quality dog food using healthy and organic ingredients. Below mentioned is a list of some of the best dog foods for greyhounds. We have reviewed these foods so that you can easily choose one for your dog.
Our Top 5 Recommendations of Best Dog Food For Greyhounds:
ORIJEN High-Protein, Grain-Free, Premium Quality Meat, Dry Dog Food
"I and love and you" Nude Superfood Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan With Probiotics Shredded Blend High Protein
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
CANIDAE PURE Dog Food
ORIJEN is a well-known and the best brand of dog food for greyhounds. The food product has been rated 4.6 stars by 2200+ users. It’s a freeze-dried dog food which has been prepared by using high-quality ingredients. The food contains high-quality protein and dehydrated animal ingredients.
There are 15% plant-based ingredients in the recipe to fulfill all the nutritional requirements of your dog. There are no grains in the food formula, so it is best for your greyhound with food sensitivities. ORIJEN food formula is available in various flavors that you can choose according to your dog’s choice.
- The food formula contains a minimum amount of plant-based ingredients, botanicals, and fruits.
- There are no grains, so it will suit your greyhound that has food allergies.
- It contains 85% eggs, fish, and poultry.
Another best dog food for greyhounds with a rating of 4.6 stars by 550+ users. “I and love and you” is a highly organic food made using all-natural ingredients so that your dog can easily digest these. The food is available in three different flavors with no additives, fillers, or artificial flavors.
The food formula contains superfoods such as turmeric, flaxseed, coconut oil, which are healthy for your dog. Protein is the first ingredient, and it also contains prebiotics, probiotics, and digestive enzymes that promote healthy skin and keep them in good health condition. The recipe is easy to digest and contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, promoting healthy skin and coat.
- There are varieties of different flavors available that you can select according to your dog’s choice.
- Prebiotics, probiotics, and other digestive enzymes promote digestion.
- This food formula can be used for all dogs of all ages.
Purina Pro Plan is a well-known brand for dog foods, so you can consider it the best dog food for greyhounds. With a variety of different flavors, this product has been rated 4.7 stars by 4100+ users. The recipe contains a blend of rice and shredded beef along with probiotics and high protein content.
High-quality protein has been used in the recipe and real beef as the first ingredient. Probiotics present in the recipe help in proper digestion and support your dog’s immune system.
- Real beef is the first ingredient and the only protein source
- There is a blend of rice and shredded beef that give a delicious flavor to the food
- The recipe contains probiotics which support the immune system and help indigestion
- Omega 6 fatty acids help to have a healthy skin and coat of your dog.
Blue Buffalo is a famous pet food brand, and it has been rated 4.6 stars by 5900+ users. It is present in three different flavors and contains all essential minerals and vitamins that support your dog’s health. The food formula contains a high amount of protein, and there are no grains included in the recipe.
Animal nutrition experts have prepared this food, keeping in mind the needs or requirements of dogs. It contains a minimum of 34% protein and carbohydrates from potatoes, peas, and sweet potatoes.
There are no artificial flavors, preservatives, by-products, corn, wheat, or soy. It can be used for different dog breeds and also for those dogs that have some allergies. Due to all these features, you can say it is the best dog food for greyhounds.
- The recipe contains 34% protein from fish meal, chicken, or salmon
- Carbohydrates are also present in the recipe from potatoes, peas, and sweet potatoes.
- LifeSource bits formula, a natural blend of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants to provide all-important nutrition.
CANIDAE PURE has been rated 4.5 stars by 2100+ users. If you have a smaller greyhound, then this is the best dog food recipe. The recipe is especially for smaller dogs because it has been prepared, keeping in mind the safety and growth of more miniature puppies. It has all the essential ingredients in the proper amount to prevent your dog from overfeeding.
The best dog food for Italian greyhounds does not contain any grains, wheat, or soy, which means that it is perfect for puppies with a sensitive stomach. Fatty acids and probiotics present in the formula are essential for healthy skin and coat. Not only that, it’s beneficial and useful for your dog, but it’s also affordable for your dog.
- It’s dry dog food, which means that you can store it easily
- There are no grains, wheat, or soy, making it useful for a dog with allergies.
- The recipe contains a limited number of ingredients providing all essential nutrients for your greyhound’s proper growth and safety.
- 10 Best Dog Food To Gain Weight And Muscle In 2020
- 10 Best Dog Food For Corgis In 2020 (Complete Review)
Merrick Grain, another best dog food for greyhounds that have been rated 4.7 stars by 1100+ users. It is present in several different flavors that you can choose according to your dog’s choice. A team of veterinarians and professional animal nutritionists have prepared this recipe. This is one of the best recipes because it contains all organic ingredients.
It contains high protein content and provides enough energy to your greyhound for different activities. This helps in increasing and maintaining muscle mass for healthy skin. With all the benefits, it is also delicious. It is the best dog food for greyhounds that have joint problems and maintain a healthy weight of your dog.
- It’s a high-quality protein that provides proper nutrition to your dog
- There are no grains, soy, or wheat, which makes it best for dogs with allergies
- The recipe is ideal for a dog that has a hip or joint problem
- It provides your dog with enough energy for different dog activities.
Nutro is a dry dog food that has been rated 4.8 stars by 1800+ users. The recipe has brown rice as a source of carbohydrates along with the chicken. It has an adequate amount of fats and protein for proper growth and energy levels. There are no fillers, additives, or artificial ingredients in the recipe.
As the name indicates, it has wholesome ingredients that support a healthy metabolism. Calcium and phosphorous are also present in proper amounts in the recipe for your dog’s healthy bones and skin. The company uses only wholesome and quality ingredients for better nutrition. This food formula is suitable for all puppies, small and large dog breeds.
- The food formula is present at a very affordable price for you
- U.S farm-raised meat has been used as a source of protein in the recipe
- It is free from artificial flavors, ingredients, preservatives, and colors.
Wellness Natural Pet Food also comes in the list of best dog food for greyhounds, and 500+ users have rated it 4.6 stars. It is best for greyhounds that have some food allergies. The food formula contains all ingredients that are gentle on your dog’s stomach. No element can be the reason for any digestive problem.
There are no preservatives, artificial colors, or flavors, or any other dairy products. The food formula is appropriate for all dog breeds and contains 25% protein. Salmon is the protein source, and it contains carbohydrates that are easy to digest. It also has chicory root as a probiotic, which is essential for a healthy digestive system. For healthy skin, there is flaxseed present in the recipe.
- The recipe contains a limited number of ingredients, which makes it the best dog food for greyhounds with allergies
- There are no wheat or meat by-products
- It has 25% protein from salmon
- Peas and potatoes are present in the recipe as a source of carbohydrates that are easy to digest
ORIJEN Senior High protein food has been rated 4.6 stars by 580+ users. It’s a high-quality product, as is recommended as the best dog food for greyhounds. Senior dogs need food that is higher in protein content to support and maintains their muscles. These dogs also need more minerals and vitamins for a healthy immune system.
Dog food for senior dogs should contain all essential nutrients to fight with diseases and illnesses. The food formula satisfies your dog and fulfills all the biological needs of your dog.
- ORIJEN is a high-quality dog food with a high protein content that maintains your dog’s muscles
- There are no grains, additives, and preservatives in it
- Premium-quality meat has been used in the food formula
- It’s best for your adult greyhound.
This is our last recommendation for the best dog food for greyhounds, and it has been rated 4.7 stars by 4400+ users. It is available in two different flavors. Blue buffalo life protection formula has been designed especially for the health of your dog. It contains real meat, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains along with LifeSource bits.
There is a blend of nutrients along with antioxidant that promotes your dog’s health. The deboned chicken provides a delicious taste to the recipe. It contains all the essential nutrients for the proper growth and development of your puppy.
- It contains phosphorous, calcium, and vitamins for healthy teeth and bones.
- The package comprises small-sized kibbles that help remove tartar, and your greyhound puppy can quickly eat it.
- ARA and DHA are also included in the food formula for eye and brain development
- Omega 6 and omega-three fatty acids are essential for a healthy coat and skin
Ingredients To Look For While Buying Best Dog Food for Greyhounds
There are a couple of different elements that you should consider in the dog food when looking for the best dog food for greyhounds. These ingredients are essential for your dog’s health and growth. So, let’s have a look at these.
1. Vegetables and Fruits:
Vegetables and fruits are an essential fiber source, which helps in proper and comfortable digestion of food. Moreover, the presence of a plant-based ingredient reduces the risk of bloating.
2. Nutrients and Minerals in dog food:
For proper health and growth of your dog, the dog food must contain the correct number of vitamins and minerals. Along with these, dog food should also contain fatty acids necessary for a healthy coat and skin.
High amount of protein means higher protein content in dog food. Protein is one of the essential ingredients in the best dog food, and it is necessary for muscle development in dogs. It also provides your dog with energy for proper training and all the other physical activities.
4. Source of Carbohydrates:
One of the great sources of carbohydrates is brown rice and potatoes. These ingredients promote the digestive system and make the digestion process more comfortable. Carbohydrates are also a source of energy for all-day activities.
Greyhound Nutritional Requirements
Before selecting the best dog food for greyhounds, it is essential to learn about greyhounds’ nutritional requirements. In this way, you can buy quality food which fulfills all their needs.
Protein is one of the essential elements in dog food, and its source should be real meat. It helps in muscle maintenance and provides energy for daily activities. Dog food should have a high-quality protein, mainly from real beef. There are different arguments regarding the proportion of protein in dog food, but ideally, it should be between 22 to 27%.
A dog food can have different sources of carbohydrates such as vegetables, fruits, and grains. Dogs only need a small number of carbohydrates in their diet. Therefore, make sure that the dog food you are getting has fewer amounts of carbohydrates.
3. Minerals and Vitamins:
Vitamins and minerals are also the nutritional requirements of dogs. However, they do not need high amounts of these. Dogs can manufacture vitamin C, and it is also added to dog food as a preservative. Therefore, there is no need for additional vitamin C. Minerals and vitamins make a balanced diet for your dog.
Fats are the primary source of energy and provide more energy than carbohydrates and proteins. It is also the source of fatty acids, which are essential for a healthy coat and skin. Moreover, they also make food delicious. However, be careful about their amount because an excessive amount of fats can also lead your dog to weight gain.
Food You Must Avoid for Your Greyhound.
Excellent dog food for greyhounds is a mix of both wet and dry dog food. It will be best if you provide your dog with some dry dog food along with minced meat. He can eat cooked and raw vegetables that are safe for him. You can also serve it some chew s or dog treats that are not harmful. However, there are some foods that you should avoid giving you greyhound. These include:
- Raw potatoes
- Salty foods
- Uncooked yeast dough
- Stones fruits etc.
Health Problems in Greyhounds
There are some health problems which are common in greyhounds. Therefore, if you have a greyhound, you must know about these problems to take precautions to avoid these problems. Below mentioned are some of the common health problems in greyhounds.
- Bone cancer, also known as osteosarcoma, is a widespread health problem in greyhounds. It’s a life-threatening disease and has taken the lives of many dogs
- The tick-borne condition also known as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Dental disease
- Protozoal infections such as coccidian and giardia
- Hair loss
- Vasculopathy, which is characterized by the blockage of small blood vessels.
Greyhounds are athletic dogs, and they need a high amount of proteins and energy in their diet. Food plays an essential role in maintaining greyhounds’ health; therefore, you need to find the best dog food for greyhounds. Different brands are manufacturing high-quality foods for greyhounds that you can select.
You need to look for some ingredients in dog food, as these are essential for your dog’s health. Moreover, be aware of different health problems of greyhounds. Also, make sure that you learn about additional nutritional requirements of greyhounds so you can easily choose the best dog food for a greyhound.