Hip dysplasia is a common disease in large dog breeds such as Saint Bernard, Labradors, and Newfoundland. The disease can be found in other dog breeds as well. It’s a severe condition, and there are many treatments available. However, the first thing you can do is find the best dog bed for hip dysplasia.
What Will I Learn?
- 1 Hip Dysplasia in Dogs
- 2 10 Best Dog Bed For Hip Dysplasia
- 3 Our Top 5 Recommendations Of Best Dog Bed For Hip Dysplasia
- 3.1 1. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed, Premium Memory Foam:
- 3.2 2. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed:
- 3.3 3. Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed for Large and Extra-Large Breed Dogs:
- 3.4 4. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed:
- 3.5 5. K&H PET PRODUCTS Deluxe Ortho Bolster Sleeper Pet Bed:
- 3.6 6. BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed:
- 3.7 7. Furhaven Pet – Plush Ergonomic Contour Cradle Orthopedic Foam Mattress Dog Bed:
- 3.8 8. High-Grade Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed:
- 3.9 9. Laifug Orthopedic Memory Foam Extra Large Dog Bed:
- 3.10 10. Furhaven Pet – Orthopedic Living Room:
- 4 Can Dog Bed Helps Dogs with Hip Dysplasia?
- 5 Things to Consider While Buying Dog Beds for Hip Dysplasia
- 6 Dog Breeds That Are Vulnerable to Hip Dysplasia
- 7 Symptoms of Hip Dysplasia In Dogs
- 8 Conclusion
Hip Dysplasia in Dogs
It’s a skeletal problem more common in giant or large dog breeds; however, it can also happen in smaller dog breeds. The hip joint performs functions like a ball and a socket. In hip dysplasia, the ball and socket do not work correctly, and instead of sliding, it grinds and rubs against each other. If the situation continues, it can lead to a complete loss of the joint’s function.
Hip dysplasia can affect the quality of your dog’s life; therefore, you need to look for treatment. Many things can provide comfort to your dog, and one of them is the orthopedic dog bed. The best orthopedic dog bed for hip dysplasia can solve your problem.
10 Best Dog Bed For Hip Dysplasia
These are orthopedic dog beds that do not only relieve your dog’s pain but also provide them a comfortable sleep. Different brands are working to make the best dog beds, so it may become difficult for you to choose one. For this reason, we are providing you with a list of recommended dog beds that you can choose for your dog.
Our Top 5 Recommendations Of Best Dog Bed For Hip Dysplasia
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed, Premium Memory Foam
PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed
K&H PET PRODUCTS Deluxe Ortho Bolster Sleeper Pet Bed
It is the best dog bed orthopedic dog bed for hip dysplasia with 4.4 stars by 2700+ users. There are a variety of different sizes and colors are available with a waterproof lining. The dog bed has been designed in a way that will not disturb your home décor.
The dog bed improves your dog’s joints condition and increase mobility to improve their quality of life. Not only that, but it also promotes peaceful and comfortable sleep in your dog. Its covers are removable and can be washed easily as it is waterproof, so the cover dries quickly.
- It’s a very comfortable dog bed that is best for hip dysplasia and other joint problems.
- You can easily remove the cover and wash it to remove stains
- There is a water repellent in the bed foam that prevents a lot of mess.
- The material of the cover may not be long-lasting.
- Large headrest
- XL headrest
- XXL headrest
It’s a high-quality dog bed that has been rated 4.7 stars by 9000+ users. Finest and high-quality materials have been used in making this dog bed. There is 4 inches thick foam as a base with a tear and water-resistant cover.
Bolsters are also present around the bed, which has been filled with recycled and environmentally friendly fiber. It has a durable cover that can be washed in a machine to clean any spot. The bed has a skid surface, so it will not move around. There are four different sizes available and a 12 months warranty.
- Most dog owners showed a positive response to this dog bed and reported that their dog loved it.
- The core of memory foam is stiff, so it does not move on the floor
- It provides all the comfort to your puppy, and he can easily walk on it.
- There are not too many complaints about this dog bed. The only problem reported by some dog owners was the zipper of the cover. It can break easily.
- Small (25×20″)
- Large (36×28″)
- X-Large (44×34″)
- XXL Jumbo (50×40″)
Big Barker 7 has been positively reviewed and is rated 4.8 stars by 4300+ users. A variety of different sizes is available that you can choose according to your dog. Three different types of foams have been used in this bed, which keeps your dog very comfortable. Its cover feels very soft on touching. You can remove it quickly, and it can be washed in a machine to remove any stains.
One of the most significant benefits of this dog bed is that it comes with ten years warranty, and it has been clinically proven to reduce pain and increase mobility in just 28 days.
- Big Barker dog bed has received highly positive reviews from customers because of its durability, construction, and aesthetics.
- The product has been manufactured in California by the workers that have more than 30 years of experience.
- It provides comfort, relieves pain, and increase mobility in your dog.
- The bed comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Big Barker is expensive than other dog beds
- It is not suitable for small dog breeds.
- Large (48 X 30 X 7)
- Extra Large (52 X 36 X 7)
- Giant (60 X 48 X 7)
Around 4000+ users have rated it 4.7 stars, and it comes in a variety of different sizes. It is the best dog bed for hip dysplasia as it provides extra care to your dog. The bed offers enough places for your dog to walk and cuddle, and it is best for dogs that have weight up to 40 pounds.
It’s a chew proof bed, which means that it is suitable for powerful chewer dogs, and its cover can be easily washed in a machine. You can remove the cover easily with the help of metal zippers. The cover also has a water-resistant lining that protects it. It has a non-skid surface, so it does not move around on the floor.
- Providing comfort to your dog is the top priority of the company.
- The size is enough to accommodate more than one small dog.
- The bed has a tear and water-resistant liner.
- It is easy to clean. Durable and can be washed in a machine.
- It is not easy to be moved or carried away.
- Small 20 x 25″
- Large 36 x 28″
- XL 44 x 34″
- XXL JUMBO 40 x 50″
You can consider it as the best dog bed for hip dysplasia due to the comfort level it provides to your dog. It has 3 inches thick orthopedic medical grade foam core. With a soft microsuede cover and bolsters, the bed has been designed specially to comfort your dog and is best for hip or joints issues.
There are four different sizes available, and its cover can be washed easily. Moreover, the sleeping surface has been made with quilted fleece that is very soft. To make the sleeping surface flat, you can remove the bulk of fill from bolsters.
- It’s a good option for dogs that suffer from hip dysplasia or having some joint issues.
- The bed provides extra care and comfort to your dog.
- Customers have been seen happy with the construction and stitching of this dog bed.
- The price is just according to its quality.
- Some customer has found it difficult to remove covers
- The sleeping area has a light-colored fleece which shows dirt and shed hairs.
- Medium (30″)
- Large (40″)
Another dog bed for hip dysplasia has been rated 4.5 stars by 6000+ users. There are three different sizes of dog beds available that you can choose according to your dog. The bed offers a cushioned surface to your dog for sleeping. It is suitable for every dog breed and can bear the weight up to 100 pounds.
Orthotic foam and cotton padding help to relieve the spine and neck pain of your dog. It has a non-stick rubber surface, which does not allow it to slide around. You can easily remove pet hairs, and the cover is easy to be washed and used again.
- It provides extra comfort to your dog and relieves neck or spine pain.
- The cover is machine washable, and the bed has a non-skid rubber surface that keeps it in one place.
- Orthotic foam and cotton padding make it the best dog bed for hip dysplasia.
- Its price is a little higher than other dog beds.
- Medium – 32″ x 22″
- Large – 40″ x 30″
With a variety of different sizes, this dog bed has been rated 4.5 stars by 6000+ users. Some unique features of this best bed for a dog with hip dysplasia include cooling gel, memory foam, and orthopedic foam. You get the options of 8 different linings that you can choose according to your choice.
You can also buy separate linings for this bed so you can change when the original one is torn up. This is the best dog bed for hip dysplasia to be used in summers. It contains a unique cooling gel that keeps the temperature low to prevent your dog from overheating. Both ends of the bed have been contoured, which provided extra comfort and best for joint support.
- Different features make it the best dog bed for dogs with hip dysplasia.
- You can choose any lining which is suitable for you and your dog.
- The cooling gel keeps the temperature low in summers.
- Some customers have reported the size issue. They complained that the size was small then it the advertised one. Therefore, they had to return the bed to, but an upsize.
- Jumbo Plus
It is considered the best orthopedic dog bed for hip dysplasia with a rating of 4.7 stars by 3000+ users. It’s hypoallergenic, orthopedic grade foam, which is of high quality and provides comfort to your dog. This is the best dog bed for a dog with hip dysplasia as it soothes joints and relieves pain.
It comes with zipped covers that can be removed easily and then washed. The covers are very soft, which provides comfort sleep to your dog. Non-skid rubber bottom keeps the bed in place. Moreover, it has a water-resistant lining, which keeps the bed clean and hygienic.
- Hypoallergenic and orthopedic dog memory foam is best to soothe and relieve joints pain or hip dysplasia.
- Two water-resistant covers provide extra protection and can be washed easily.
- Non-skid rubber bottom keeps the bed in place.
- It may not be suitable for small dog breeds as there are only two sizes available that are Large and X-Large.
This dog bed has got 4.7 stars from 1900+ users for its quality and comfort that it provides to your dog. The company offers a variety of colors and sizes for a dog bed. It has memory foam, which is 4 inches thick with pillows on both sides, with 2.5 inches thick. You can say it is the best dog bed for hip dysplasia due to the different features it offers.
The bed provides enough places for your dog and can bear weight up to 200 lbs. The foam may last for around three years, and the company also offers separate linings that you can buy. So you can change the cover when the original one has been torn etc.
- High-quality material has been used in manufacturing the dog bed
- It provides spacious for your dog to cuddle and sleep
- Waterproof lining prevents a lot of mess
- According to some customers, the Mattress was too firm
- The bed can be too hard for your dog, and he may reject it
- It is not suitable for small dog breeds.
It is the best bed for a dog with hip dysplasia and has 4.4 stars from 14000+ users. There are a variety of different sizes and colors are available in it that you can choose from. This dog bed will not be high on your budget but provides extra comfort. You can look for a size that is comfortable and cozy for your dog.
It’s a sofa style bed with bolsters on the side to rest the dog’s head-on, and it also provides security to your dog. With a removable quilted cover, the cleaning process becomes more comfortable.
- It’s a high-quality bed that provides maximum comfort and peaceful sleep to your dog.
- Side bolsters are comfortable and support your dog’s neck.
- Its cover can be easily washed in a machine and removes stains
- There are different sizes available that you can choose according to your dog.
- The foam used in manufacturing is not very special, so it may not provide enough comfort to your dog.
- Jumbo Plus
Can Dog Bed Helps Dogs with Hip Dysplasia?
One of the best things to do if your dog is suffering from hip dysplasia is getting him the best orthopedic dog bed for hip dysplasia. These beds are specially designed to relieve the discomfort and pain of your dog.
You must spend your money on a high-quality orthopedic dog bed that copes with this painful condition. The dog beds also help in increasing mobility and provide a comfortable sleep for your dog. So, it all depends on you to choose the right orthopedic bed for your dog according to his need.
Things to Consider While Buying Dog Beds for Hip Dysplasia
You need to look for a couple of things in the best dog bed for hip dysplasia. Make sure that the bed fulfills your dog’s comfort needs and provides him peaceful sleep. It should be able to relieve pain and soothe joints.
1. It should be comfortable:
One of the most important things is the dog bed’s comfort level. Dogs that suffer from hip dysplasia need more comfort than normal dogs. Orthopedic foams are very gentle on joints; therefore, the bed should be made of orthopedic foam.
2. Size of the Bed:
Most of the brands offer a variety of different sizes of orthopedic dog beds. There are many sizes available, including small, medium, large, and extra-large. You can choose any of these depending upon your dog’s size.
3. Dog’s health condition:
Another thing to look for is your dog’s health condition. If your dog has suffered from surgery recently, you need to provide him enough rest and comfort. For this reason, you need to spend money on the comfiest dog bed.
Bolsters: Some dog beds come with bolsters that support your dog’s head while sleeping. They also keep them cozy and provide a sense of security to your dog. Therefore, it’s also a good idea to look for bolsters when getting a dog bed.
Ideal memory foam is 4 inches thick. The comfort of the Mattress depends on its thickness. However, if a mattress is too thick, it fails to provide comfort to your dog. Some dog beds have gel foam or gel that helps to reduce temperature and gives a cooling effect.
5. Cleaning the Mattress:
It is one of the critical factors to look for in the best dog bed for hip dysplasia. Some dog beds come with removable covers that are very easy to wash in machines. Moreover, also make sure that some water-resistant material should be used in the covers so that the bed does not absorb any fluid.
Some dogs are powerful chewers; therefore, you need to invest money in a dog bed that can withstand nibbling and chewing your dog. It should be durable and long-lasting so that you don’t have to change the bed again and again.
Dog Breeds That Are Vulnerable to Hip Dysplasia
Hip dysplasia is most common in large dog breeds such as
- Mastiffs, bulldogs
- St. Bernard retrievers
- American Staffordshire terriers
- Old English Sheepdogs
- Basset Hounds
You need to be careful about other dog breeds as well as they can also suffer from it. Some dogs can also inherit it, such as pugs, small breeds, and French bulldogs.
Symptoms of Hip Dysplasia In Dogs
There are different symptoms of hip dysplasia that you can look for in your dog. If you notice any of these symptoms mentioned below, immediately consult your vet or provide some treatment. Following are some of the symptoms of hip dysplasia in the dog
- The decrease in physical activity
- Loss of mass on thigh muscle
- Stiffness and pain
- Motion is decreased
- Enlargement of shoulder muscle
- Lameness in hind
The best dog bed for hip dysplasia can reduce many of these symptoms and relieve joints pain and stiffness. They also help in increasing mobility.
Hip dysplasia is a common disease in dogs, especially in large dog breeds. If not treated with care, it can lead to complete loss of the hip joint function. For this reason, you need to provide the best dog bed for hip dysplasia to your dogs. These are orthopedic dog beds that provide comfort and relieve pain.
A list of some recommended dog beds has been mentioned above. They are available in different sizes and colors that you can choose according to your dog. Moreover, there are certain things that you need to look for in the best orthopedic dog bed for hip dysplasia. In this way, you can choose the best one for your puppy.